Sunday, August 25, 2013

Transitions...

Being a mom is rewarding, but definitely hard. I envisioned so many things, but they didn't always turn out exactly as I would have liked.
I was totally all for breastfeeding & when the baby got jaundice, she was so aggravated and did not want to. So I decided to pump. Gee whiz is that a LOT of work. At first, I was pumping every 2 hours. Whatever she needed, I had to provide. It was no big deal when the husband was here, but when he left to go back to work, there were many pumping sessions of the baby laying in my lap or her bed crying b/c I wasn't able to tend to her properly while i was hooked up. Going places was practically torture or rushed b/c I had to be home in order to pump, or I would definitely regret it (b/c of the pain of waiting). At first it wasn't bad b/c she couldn't eat all the milk that I was producing...but then her appetite started to pickup and I just couldn't get that much out.
So, I set a goal that I would pump until she was 6 months old. The task seemed very daunting..needless to say, after many talks and arguments with my husband... I have now stopped pumping. Baby is almost 3 months old, I know many people will be disappointed in me, but 3 months (almost) is better than 3 weeks, or 3 days. I have to know that I gave it my all, but I seriously feel as though I have made the right decision for my daughter. It seemed as though my breastmilk was truly just killing her stomach. If I could have changed my eating habits things might have gotten better, but I can honestly say, that I absolutely can NOT do that. Yes, I probably could make the change for a little while, but without a shadow of a doubt I would cheat and I can't stand the thought of hurting her one bit. So we have switched to formula. Even though I know some may not agree with this, I have to remember that I am her mother, and I have to stand up to my own decisions. the hubs and I have agreed on the decision, and that is what we are sticking to.
She is growing like a weed, and I think she will be just fine! I love her more than anything in this world.

1 comment:

  1. Kristen I have no doubt that you're an awesome and wonderful mother. The choices you make with your children are your own and should not be judged by others. Always follow your heart and God will always let you know what is best. I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete